The Pinion gearbox is becoming more and more common on premium touring bikes around the world, as brands start adopting the tooling to match this gear tech to their frames. Did you know that this 18-speed gearbox is now available on over 30 different touring bikes?!
The gear system is ideal for bicycle touring for a number of reasons:
– It has a wider range of gears than almost any drivetrain (636%), giving you both small climbing gears and high gears
– The gear system is fully sealed away from the elements and is rated for over 60,000km use
– It’s easy to swap out the entire gear system if there is a failure
– There are small gaps between each of the gears
– You can run it with a Carbon Belt Drivetrain
Bikes with Pinion gearboxes aren’t cheap. And they’re still mostly limited to the European market. You’ll find complete bikes starting from €2799 (US $3100), but the €4000-5000 (US $4400-5500) price range is a more common price point.